Department of psychiatry and department of clinical psychology and counseling Nazareth Hospital, Shillong, Meghalaya. Started functioning from June 2013. The department is headed by:-
- Dr Raaj Konwar M.D. ( Psychiatry)
- Mrs. Jasmine LyngdohM.Phil ( Clinical Psychology)
- Miss Stephanie .V. Nongkynrih MSW ( Psychiatric Social Work)
Services that are provided are:-
- OPD from Monday to Saturday except on Tuesday for various kinds of psychiatric conditions.
- General ward and private rooms are available for patient needing admissions for mental illness and alcohol/drugs related issues.
- IQ assessments.
- Personality assessment.
- Neurocognitive assessment and re-training.
- Insight oriented therapy
- Couple therapy
- Greif resolution
- And many other therapies are provided
- Carrier counseling
- Family counseling
Bio-feed back is a process that enables an individual to learn how to change physiological activity for the purposes of improving health and performance. Precise instruments measure physiological activity such as brainwaves, heart function, breathing, muscle activity, and skin temperature. These instruments rapidly and accurately ‘feed back’ information to the user. The presentation of this information — often in conjunction with changes in thinking, emotions, and behavior — supports desired physiological changes. Over time, these changes can endure without continued use of an instrument.
Several different relaxation exercises are used in biofeedback therapy, including:
- Deep breathing
- Progressive muscle relaxation — alternately tightening and then relaxing different muscle groups
- Guided imagery — concentrating on a specific image (such as the color and texture of an orange) to focus your mind and make you feel more relaxed.
Bio-feed back is helpful in:-
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic pain
- Chronic headache, migraines